Tuesday 28 April 2015

Kingsday from afar

Happy Kingsday Dutchies! Or, actually... I'm writing this when it's no-longer April the 27th over there... Anyway, I hope you all had a good one!

I must say that I hadn't really missed home until I saw all the photos and videos from Kingsday on Snapchat. Do you know that feeling you get when you know people are having fun without you? I kind of had that, which is strange because I never truly celebrated King's- or Queen's day before. I guess that, once you're abroad, you start thinking of your own country in a very different way. At this point, I don't even remember most of the school things that I was worrying about only a couple of weeks ago. Right now all I'm thinking is, I can't wait for all the sunny days in the Netherlands this summer! Genuinely, I am already making plans in my head for when I get back. I hope I can keep up that positive feeling towards the home-front once I get back into the school-rhythm... But enough about that for now! I'm still in the United States, so let's focus on that so long as my trip still lasts. :)

Today I had less healthy cereal for breakfast, Carson's favourite, and boy was it good! Like a sugary cinnamon taste on cornflakes. Yum! I just realised how varied my breakfast has been this past week. Like, in the Netherlands I would have the same everyday. Bread with cheese. For breakfast and lunch. Here I've had something different every day! And lunch is mostly warm, which I really enjoy. Again, I'm standing behind my statement that we should have warm food for lunch at our school as well. I would be so much more capable of staying awake during my last periods, not even joking!

So yeah, then I had breakfast and joined DeWitt to his office where I helped him with another database task. What I'm doing there is basically helping him get ready for sales and marketing, so updating his databases in e-mail- and post addresses. Today I learned just about all the states of America by having to look up what the abbreviations meant. I feel a whole lot wiser on that front, I guess the next step would be to figure out where to find each.. ;)

For lunch we popped into Crosby's and I got a turkey wrap with swiss cheese. We ate that at home as we refuelled for the rest of the afternoon. So back to work we went until around 4-5'ish, when we went to go pick up Deuce from school. We hung out for a while in the living room, watching Drake & Josh on TV and I caught up on what my friends had been up to. For dinner we had chicken from the grill, rice, garlic bread and asparagus. And then for dessert it was time to celebrate the King's birthday. So Amy stuck some candles in the left-over carrot cake from the night before, and we had our own little King's Day in Georgetown.

Tomorrow I have to get up early and leave the house at 7, because I'm joining DeWitt's father with some volunteer-work that he's into. It has something to do with birds coming in from a different place and they are given a ring here by these volunteers. That should be really interesting! He's taking me out for the entire day, even for lunch! He might also show me one of the oldest boathouses in the country, that still creates wooden boats, which he lives almost next-door to.

I also heard that later this week, on Friday, Donna is going to take me out to Cambridge with her so that I can see some sights and visit the Harvard area! That's so cool! And I might join her daughter to some dance classes as well later this week. Overall, I'm really excited!

Goodnight everybody!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird