Wednesday 29 April 2015

A day out in the sun with Jock

To say that I was ecstatic to finally have some really cool photos to show the homefront would be an understatement. I've been wanting to take more photos last week as well, but for some reason it just felt strange doing it! Honestly, I think it has something to do with the fact that I'm not really here as a tourist. I mean, I am. Just differently... So taking photos all the time kind of feels strange and a violation of people's privacy and comfort zone. It might all just be in my head, but it is how I've experienced it so far. Until today. I kept my camera in hand, or at least in short reach of my hands, at all times. Today was the day I joined Jock, DeWitts father, on his regular Tuesday.

I got up early, before the clock had even stricken 6 AM, because he would be there to pick me up at 7. So that's what he did! At first we went to fill up on some gas for his car and after that we stopped by at Dunkin' Donuts across the street. The slogan states, "America runs on Dunkin'", and that probably couldn't be more true. People stop by the shop every morning to get their correct dose of coffee and donuts. (or bagels, they have those, too!) Anyway, I got a small (much to their surprise) hot chocolate. Which, put shortly, tasted like heaven in a cup. Jock picked six donuts in 3 different flavours and then we were all set to go.



Our first destination that day would be "Plum Island", which is a nature reserve near the Atlantic Ocean. Jock is part of a volunteering-group there that spend their time catching birds in nets as they come in from different places around the world on their migration. These birds would then be given a small ring, and they will keep a database with all kinds of information they can detect from this bird, before it is put back into nature. Sadly, however, I didn't get to see this part happening today. The day started out very cold and windy, making it very unlikely for any bird to enter the nets. They're basically nets that are so thin, I couldn't even see them! Yet because of the wind you could see them more easily as they flared up, which would make it less attractive, to say the least, for the birds to fly into. So I didn't get to see that process, alas. However I may give it another try Thursday morning.


After birding we went out to the head-building of this bird-reserving institution. Jock showed me around in all the classrooms they have in there for children to learn more about nature, and especially nature on Plum Island, at that. After showing me around I took a couple of pictures, saw a squirrel, and we headed out for lunch. At Starboard Galley, which I figured out the name of the restaurant was, (As Jock kind of pronounced it as a mumbled "Starbrd" and I kept thinking we were going to Starbucks) we met Nancy, who is his wife, and we ordered some seafood for lunch. I had pasta that was so greasy it wouldn't stay on my fork, but it was good though! For dessert Jock suggested I should try Key Lime Pie, which is a 'very American' dessert according to him. I tried it and I liked it very much! Mum, if you're reading this, it's kind of like the lemon cheesecake you make, only a bit stronger. You'd like it!



When lunch was done we drove to Newburyport, which is where he and his wife live, and took me to see the oldest, still-active boathouse in the country. Right next to his house. It was a beautiful boatshop. Absolutely beautiful! I guess I have a new favourite aesthetic, sun that shines through windows on unedited wood. Something about it was just breathtaking! They were actually busy creating a boat when we came in there, and we saw some other current projects as well. It's amazing what they can create with wood. The people working in there were all very young, to my surprise. But thinking about it for a little while, I reasoned that it is exactly the place to find young people. With fresh visions on how to develop new types of boats in a boatshop that is so old. One of the boats they were currently working on was a very large rowing boat, which would be able to carry an entire class of kids for example. It was still in the making, but they'd already decided that they were going to oil it instead of painting it, so that they would be able to have it used in things like movies in a different time setting as well. Which I thought was very interesting! Downstairs in the shop was a small museum with some of the very old boats that were made there, as well as a model ship of which the real one had been built in there, donated to them by DeWitts mother. She was the previous owner of that model. It was so pretty! I took advantage of the great weather and spammed my camera with photos of the little yellow boat floating out on the giant Merrymack River. I'm so glad with how they turned out!



Back at Jock's house we relaxed for a bit on his deck. Wow, does he have a house with a view! It was stunning! When he told me how the sun sets right above the river where he could perfectly see, I could definitely imagine what that would look like. I told him there, that if I had a view like that... I probably wouldn't ever be inside.



At the end of the day I joined him to an Ethics Committee that he's voluntarily a part of. It's basically what we always talked about in Science & Society class. They had me sign a confidentiality contract, though, and as I didn't entirely read it I think it's best if I don't mention anything other than that. ;)

So, to sum up, I had a terrific day! How was yours?

Xxx

Eva

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird