Thursday 29 May 2014

Boobs

Before I begin, I would like to excuse myself for my language: But not for what I have to say.

I am outraged.


So earlier today, Caitlin Stasey (Lady Kenna, Reign) posted a topless photo of herself on Instagram using the tag: #freethenipple.
This is a movement that wants to show society the inequality between men and women, or more precisely: the right to show off nipples. I truly agree with this movement, and believe that women should be able to decide themselves what parts of their body they want to show to the world. It’s your body, right?
I was so upset to see that Instagram took her photo down, stating that they hoped she’d support them in keeping Instagram a, and I quote, “Safe and fun place for everyone.”
Because hell! Boobs are dangerous right???
What the actual fuck?!
It made me so angry, that I just had to express it on here.
Now I’m not a woman who would feel confident enough to post a topless photo on the internet. But that’s only because society, and maybe my family/culture, created me so. I feel like, if I wanted to do that: I should be allowed to do it. And so should any woman on our planet.
The misogyny has got to end. I’m so fucking sick of it. 
It’s their choice, for crying out loud. And it was a beautiful picture! It wasn’t some shocking photo, hell, it didn’t even involve sex. It was just her, sitting in a chair without a shirt on. Big fucking deal. If that’s inappropriate for people under a certain maturity, then I think people should do a better job raising their children. You feed your children with those nipples. Everyone knows what they look like. 
Women should no longer have to feel bad about being a woman, and wanting to show that.
Women should no longer have to feel bad about having breasts.

1 comment:

  1. Something else I've found on the subject, also in relation to Instagram.

    “In the 1930s, men’s nipples were just as provocative, shameful and taboo as women’s are now, and men were protesting in much the same way. In 1930, four men went topless to Coney Island and were arrested. In 1935, a flash mob of topless men descended upon Atlantic City, 42 of whom were arrested. Men fought and they were heard, changing not only laws but social consciousness. And by 1936, men’s bare chests were accepted as the norm.
    So why is it that 80 years later women can’t seem to achieve the same for their chests? Why can’t a mother proudly breastfeed her child in public without feeling sexualized? why is a 17-year-old girl being asked to leave her own prom because a group of fathers find her too provocative?

    […] I am not trying to argue for mandatory toplessness, or even bralessness. What I am arguing for is a woman’s right to choose how she represents her body — and to make that choice based on personal desire and not a fear of how people will react to her or how society will judge her. No woman should be made to feel ashamed of her body.”
    — Scout Willis, in XOJane, on Instagram’s nudity policy and why she recently strolled the NYC streets topless. Solid essay all around. I found this piece particularly interesting because I’d never heard about the men’s nipples thing. (via batmansymbol.tumblr.com)

    ReplyDelete



blogger template by lovebird