Tuesday 21 April 2015

I made it!!

My first blogpost from the United States! Let's see how I'll maintain these ;) Wow! What a day! I underestimated how long an 8 hour flight would feel. I actually just accidentally typed 8 flour height, so that about sums it up!

Let's start from the beginning. At about 11:30 I took off for the airport with my mum, brother and sister. At this point I was already very nervous. The first things at the airport, such as finding the right departure area, I could luckily still do together. After that, however, it all came down to me. I will admit that I had a bit of a panic attack when I only had to leave for a couple of minutes to get my suitcase checked in. That first moment alone was somehow the scariest! I still got to walk back to say my last goodbyes and luckily that wasn't too loaded. We waved until we could no longer see each other, and then I was really on my own. That was a very strange feeling! Leaving your family behind like that. I was nervous more than I was sad, although I'm sure that I will start missing them after a while!

Anyhow, the customs service people in the Netherlands were very friendly. Strict, but friendly. They made sure to keep the atmosphere kind of light so that you wouldn't be too nervous. Which was very nice! The guy who helped me genuinely was interested in what I told him about why I was going to America. Not just in a sceptical way. Safety check and hand-baggage check was okay as well, nothing that bothered me about it! After that I didn't need to wait long to board the airplane. However, the waiting for the plane to take off did seem to take so long! We stood still for a very long time, and even when we started moving we had several kilometres to drive to get to the right lane. Finally, eventually, we went up into the air. And from that point on I can sum the flight up in three things: Getting stuffed with food and drinks, watching movies and calculating when it's the right time to go to the bathroom. If there's one thing I've learned from this trip by myself, it's that a window-seat is not worth it when you're travelling by yourself. It's so annoying when you have to ask your sleeping neighbour to move out of the aisle because you've been holding it out for a little too long trying not to wake him up. Like, if those were my friends or family I wouldn't mind. But of these people I didn't even know what language they spoke! Another thing I've learned for next time: Ask a flight attendant how to turn off the air-conditioning. That thing is so cold, so loud, and made my face itch so much during the flight. It was really getting on my nerves. Funny thing is, I couldn't really hear what the flight-attendants were saying because of this. So every time they were approaching with food and there was a choice I tried to listen from the rows before me what they could pick between. However, one time I understood: Strawberry or vegetarian? And I couldn't see what we'd get as it was in a little box, so I chanted 'strawberry!' Only to get a ham-sandwich afterwards, with chocolate mousse. So I guess I must have kind of confused her there.. ;) I watched two movies on the flight, Into The Woods and Interstellar. Both of which I found really good! And for the rest I watched Once Upon a Time. Sleep was non-negotiable in my seating placement, so I'm glad that I'll be in a different seat when I return home at night in two weeks.

As we descended into Boston Logan Airport, the first thing I saw when we reached beneath the clouds was power-plants. Followed by houses in all kinds of different colours, typically Boston, I hear. When I got off the plane the biggest difference was the way I was treated at customs. At first I had to go to a little self-service point, where you had to confirm your ESTA information. This service point then also took the freedom of taking a beautiful photo of my 8-hour-flight-face. One eye bigger than the other and my face red with spots because of the stupid air-conditioning. It actually allowed me to take another one but I just laughed and went ahead. It printed a little customs-pass for me which I then had to take to a customs-desk. The already-bitter-looking man asked how I was doing, but obviously didn't care as I was immediately told to put my fingers on the screen so that he could check my prints. It was such a big difference with the customs in the Netherlands! He basically asked the same questions, but did it without a single glimpse of friendliness. That must be such a tough and awful job to have! Out of customs I went to look for my suitcase, which, of course, had to come as one of the last so I spent the entire time nervous and thinking it wouldn't have made it. But there it was, and so was I, so I could make it to the exit. Over there I met with DeWitt and CeCe, who greeted me with open arms and took me home with them.

In Georgetown I was welcomed with a nice pink banner made by Carson, and Chloe, the dog, immediately came up to lick me. It's incredible how welcome this family makes me feel! For dinner we had steak, which was lovely but a little heavy on my tummy as in my head it was supposed to be past midnight. I'm currently ready to sleep in a big double bed in my own bedroom in the basement. I even got a welcome gift, with shampoo, conditioner, soap, a notebook and a novel! So sweet :) I was also really glad that they loved the gift I got them <3

Well, I'm about to go find out just exactly how many layers of blankets and pillows there are on this bed and get ready to sleep. It is currently 21:50 here in Massachusetts and so almost 4 A.M real feel.

Goodnight!
xxx Eva

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird